This year’s Eco Open Houses in Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas will take place on 18-19 October and 25-26 October. The Hanover Centre is part of this event on the afternoon of 18th and all day 19th October, with Brighton’s Hanover Centre ‘Eco-Refit’ / Hanover 10:10 show-casing its work on the Centre with tours and an exhibition.
During the event Hanover 10:10 volunteers will be installing solid wall insulation in the Meeting Room at the Centre.
The annual Eco Open Houses event, which sees owners of 19 of the greenest buildings in Sussex opening their doors to the public for free, showcases the latest green technologies, architecture and materials. The event is of interest to homeowners, tenants, green building enthusiasts, families, building professionals and architects.
This year’s highlights include:
- The low energy office that used to be a toilet block
- The Hanover Community Centre
- The Earthship community centre made out of old car tyres
- The university building constructed from ‘waste’ including old toothbrushes and denim
- The ‘natural’ retrofit, which uses natural, recycled and reused building materials throughout
- The seminar programme features talks on how to build and renovate using straw-bales, and low-energy Passivhaus construction.
Full details, including how to book tours of the eco homes, open house visiting times and the seminar programme, can be found in the 2014 brochure, which can be downloaded for free at www.ecoopenhouses.org.